Monday, March 10, 2014

Getting Ready for One Lap of America 2014


It's that time of the year again when I start posting about our One Lap of America effort.  It will be May before we know it and we still have some work to do on the car.  A couple of pieces of information to share is that Steve Barrett from the Cincinnati Ohio area will be my Transit Driver again this year.  Steve was my Transit Driver in 2012 and I found him through my fellow One Lap buddies from Cincinnati who knew that I was in need of a partner for the trip.  Steve is a Corvette enthusiast and is also a Corvette restorer so he is knowledgeable on a lot of the mechanical parts on the car.  Even though we did't meet until the day before the event started we made friends quickly which is good since you are shoulder to shoulder in a Corvette for a week and 3500 miles. Steve was a great asset to the team in sharing the highway miles and helping to maintain the car.

The route has been posted and I have included a map.  This years event will again concentrate on the eastern half of the United States and will take us a far south and west as New Orleans and to some tracks I haven't been to including Memphis International Raceway road course, Memphis International Raceway Drag Strip, Mobile International Speedway oval, Atlanta Motorsports Park, and GingerMan Raceway in Michigan. We will visit several other tracks and the closest we will be to home is when we do the Thunderbolt course at New Jersey Motorsports Park at Millville NJ.

I did have a chance on Friday to take the Corvette to the track down at Summit Point just to give it a shakedown run to make sure everything felt right.  I wanted to get a picture but din't think of it until the car was loaded back on the trailer.  BTW, on One Lap you cannot trailer the car at all once the event begins, although some do trailer their cars to the start point at South Bend, Indiana.

Stay tuned for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment